Saturday, January 6, 2024

The Libertines - Anthem For Doomed Youth

The blues points to a critical question for every person, What do we do with our sadness, pain, and disappointment? Do we use them to see more meaning in things and people? Do we use them to be kinder? Or do we use them to feel the whole world is bad, and to retreat from or lash out at other people? This, Aesthetic Realism explains, is the central fight in the mind of every person between the desire to like and respect the world, and the desire for contempt, which Eli Siegel defined as the disposition in every person to think we will be for ourselves by making less of the outside world. Contempt is as ordinary as a son not giving full attention to his mother, thinking, I know what she’s going to say. But it is the cause of all unkindness, including racism and economic injustice, which so many African American blues artists suffered from, and people suffer from right now. But no one can like themselves for having contempt.

Years ago, while I could act cheerful and make people laugh, I often felt very low. I hoped to make it as a jazz pianist, but I felt I never got the breaks. I hoped for love, but I felt, Why doesn’t someone appreciate me? And while I’d call myself names, essentially I blamed the world for my unhappiness. What I didn’t know and was to learn from Aesthetic Realism is that I had a hope to be displeased, and to feel distinguished in my misery, deeper and more sensitive than other people, and too good for the world. This was contempt, and it was the reason I didn’t like myself and often felt depressed.

The blues as musical form is against depression, even as the lyrics may describe that depressed feeling... I have looked at some of the ways the blues, because it makes a one of opposites, is beautiful, moves us, thrills us and meets our deep hope to put opposites together. I conclude with this, which comments importantly on the meaning and value of the blues.


The Libertines - Anthem For Doomed Youth
  • Released on: Sep 11, 2015
  • Genre: Rock, Indie Rock
  • Released on: Anthems for Doomed Youth album

"The Libertines led by vocalists/guitarists Carl Barât and Pete Doherty, updates the traditions of British rock, which helped reinvigorate British indie. The pair formed the band with their neighbor Steve Bedlow, initially known as the Strand."

See previous Song of the Day

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home